Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Importance of Clean Water

 Clean water is a pretty big deal for everyone. I remember growing up and going the the creek to fetch water, watching my mom boil it, and waiting for it to cool to get a drink, (and this was in the 1980's in America).  We used that water to drink, take a bath, and then used the dirty water to flush the toilet.  I can remember how great it was when we were able to get public water up our "holler."  I remember thinking "oh, that's what that is for," referring to the faucet. What would have happened had my mom not have boiled it?
  Picking a country to talk about was an easy for me. My church donates to an organization that main mission is to provide clean water to the people of  Haiti.  According to Wells for Haiti (n.d), Haiti has the poorest quality of water in the world. The people of Haiti are constantly battling illnesses that are caused by contaminated water. According to Charity Water (n.d), diseases from dirty water kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war.  43% of those deaths are children under five years old. However, access to clean water and basic sanitation can save around 16,000 lives every week world wide. 
How does  this affect us as early childhood educators in the United States?  You never know when you might get a new student who's family moved from a country with poor water quality.  Or, you might end up teaching in Appalachian where there are still remote places without running water and electricity.  Third, we can educate the children and families we work with about the need and have them help.  In Girl Scout terms, make it a take action project.  

References
http://cleanwaterforhaiti.org/
http://wellsforhaiti.com/
http://www.charitywater.org/whywater/

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kaleena, clean water is so important to have, especially dealing with children. At my job, we have health and safety inspectors who come and inspect the building and test the water as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra, I agree that clean water is important. In Ohio the Health Dept. will periodically stop in and check water, sewerage, and kitchens at child care centers.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kaleena, This is great post on surviving on clean water. Ironically, you and I chose the same topic. I do know of church organizations who do great things to help world unclean water crisis. You gave a great illustration of the island of Haiti. Please read my post when you get some time. Enjoy! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Wells for Haiti is a wonderful organization that was started by a thirteen year old girl battling cancer. My church is planning a mission trip to help dig more wells and I am hoping to go. I will be sure to read your post tonight.

      Delete
  3. Kaleena,
    I enjoyed reading your post about clean water, in some area of Porterville, they are considered filtering out waste water converting it to clean water. Although this process doesn't seem appealing, the drought has led them to this source. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Kaleena
    Clean water is important and I remember when I had to go to the creek to get water for my mother to boil for cooking, drinking, and taking a bath and we also, had to boil the water for the animals to drink. I live in the city now and I still boil my water for cooking and drinking. At the center I work we have the water tested every six months for lead. We in the USA take things for granted and people in our poorest country learn how to make do with what they have.

    ReplyDelete