Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Testing for Intelligence

This is a topic  with a lot of debate.  Truthfully, I hate standardized test, I hate seeing what it does to my kids.  My daughter Evie is in third grade, and her class took the Air test last week.  The kids have to pass it to pass third grade in Ohio, and the teachers told them this!  She already has anxiety issues, and of course this put it in overdrive.  She cried and had panic attacks over what happens if she doesn't pass.  The stress was too much for an eight year old, and probably made her do poorly. We prayed about it and asked God to calm her and help her to do her best, we talked about how I would love her no matter what, and for her to just do her best.
What will this test show? It doesn't show how big her hear is, how she likes to volunteer at the community center and serve dinner to homeless on Friday nights. It does not show what a great dancer she is, or how her smile can light up a room.
My first grader reads on a third grade level, his DRA score is actually higher than his sister's, however, he has ADHD and cannot sit for two hours to take a test. His test scores are usually low because of this. Standardized test do  not show us anything but whether or not a child is a good test taker.
 What way should children be assessed? I believe in an holistic approach to education, this is one of the reason why I love teaching for Head Start. Would it be possible for elementary schools to take this approach? Instead of test to prove a child can do grade level work, a portfolio for a selection of what they have done.  For example, book reports, art projects, pictures of a music performance, DRA scores, etc.
What if there were some type of assessment that we could see what type of intelligent they had. ( I am thinking along the lines of Gardner's theory of multiple intelligence.)  For example, children who test high in body kenistic are grouped together, that is used as the base for teaching them, and their assessments are given with this in mind.  This takes a lot more planning and time than standardize test, but aren't children worth it?
For the international piece I decided to research Belize. In Belize, most public schools are ran by the Catholic church.  Most of  the schools do not go by grades like we do (k-12th), instead they have forms that go up to 6th form which is jr. college.   Education is free up to age 14, however families are expected to pay for uniforms and books which can cost $3,000 US dollars. High school cost ranges from $20 US dollars to $1,000 a month plus the cost of books and uniforms. Most of Belize families cannot afford this, and many children never finish primary school. There are government programs to help needy families, but it is unavailable to most families unless they have connections. Belize City has good schools with educated teachers, however in the south, most teachers are uneducated and have very limited supplies. one  out of two children in the south will finish primary school, (Belize.com, n.d.).
Resources
https://www.belize.com/education-in-belize
http://www.mybelize.net/education-in-belize/

7 comments:

  1. I am grateful to have gone through elementary, middle, and high without paying so much money to obtain an education. I read that there are government programs available to help families in Belize pay for education but what about the families that do not get the help they need. Learning about the Belize education system is new to me and the my only concerns are for children that want to attend school after 14 but can not better their education because of financial difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Alexandra. In Belize there is financial assistance available, but from what I read you have to know somebody to get it. They are an emerging country so hopefully they will find better solutions in the future.

      Delete
  2. Kaleena,
    I can personally relate to the anxiety standardized testing puts people through...I had to take the SAT 4 times because it made me so nervous! So, I can only imagine how nerve-wracking it must be for children to take standardized tests, much less be told that it determines whether or not they pass the grade level they are currently in. That is not right and I am sorry your daughter has had to undergo this stress. I love your ideas concerning new ways of testing intelligence of children. I agree that standardized tests are not always the right route to take. Your information about Belize is very interesting! I can't imagine education being free until age 14 here in the United States...it seems as if there is always a price for something, especially if they want to be involved in sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, I can relate to you taing the SAT 4 times, I took the ACT four times trying to get my score higher. I knew the info, but after an hour, my brain was fried.
      I know what you mean about sports, we had to tell our kids they are allowed to play 2 sports per year and not at the same time because of the cost. My oldest loves to play every sport.

      Delete
  3. Kaleena,

    I believe you nailed it, prayers everything through trials and tribulations. It seemed to me that your keeping hope alive and she'll see that sooner them later, try to be patient.
    As far as your son, maybe have some Lego pieces nearby so you can build something. For an example given instructions for 30 minutes (if he complete the task or not) allowed him 10-15 minutes to build something with Legos, then returning back to the task prior.
    We pay taxes I wish the government would take note of that and help us through our financial needs of education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mohan, This year my son's teacher is great and gives him fidget breaks when she notices that he needs it. At home for homework, he works 15 mins and then gets a 10 min break. Homework takes forever this way, but better than a fit and both of us stressed. He does love to build with legos, thank you for the idea of using that as a break.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I hate standardize testing. I went through the same problems with my children and my son best friend killed himself after he scored low on his test. The tests did not prove nothing, but it make the children feel like 'they don't know nothing, or they not smart enough'; therefore, a change need to happen.

    ReplyDelete