Friday, June 2, 2017

Childhood Connections to Play





As a child, my cousins and myself spent hours playing in the state forest behind my grandparents house. We went camping every year with my grandparents and we spent the day crawdad hunting, wading in the crick, fishing, and frog gigging.   I was always outside. 

 




As I stated earlier, I played outside all the time until the sun set. We lived up a holler with the rest of my mom's side of the family. My cousin and I would hunt with our bb guns, see who could score the highest with my skip it, paint rocks and pine cones gold, and hide them to have a treasure hunt.
Looking back, I often say, "what was my mother thinking, sending me out in the woods all day." There is no way I could send my kids out all day and not know where they were or what they were doing. It was a different era, one that I am sad that today's kids will never know.
Most parents today would be deemed a terrible parent and probably have children services involved if they let their five year old play  unsupervised with a bb gun.
However, if there is ever a zombie apocalypse, I know how to survive the forest. I know what I can eat, how to catch it, and to tell direction based on where the moss is growing.
I would love to see more outdoor/ nature play for today's children. Kid's today have lost imagination, which is important for good mental health (Almon, 2002).

Reference
Almon, J. (2002). The vital role of play in early childhood education. Gateways43. Retrieved from http://www.waldorfresearchinstitute.org/pdf/BAPlayAlmon.pdf

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaleena,
    I thoroughly enjoyed your blog post and truly appreciate your Mr. Roger's quote. Oh, how I miss "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood". I also spent many hours outside but my adventures found me scaling the cliffs of our lake bank and scaling the top beam of our playground. I also concur, there is no way this play would be considered acceptable for an unsupervised child in today's society. I must admit, however, I'm not so sure my parents knew of all my adventures. Nonetheless, as early childhood professionals we must join togehter and continue to support and advocate for the play of children.
    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynnette, I also miss Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading about a childhood filled with so much room for imagination and investigation just I had. I almost forgot about the skip thingy that counted how many times it went around. Although I agree with many things you have shared, I can speak for my own child and say that she has a great imagination. Not all "kids today" have lost that imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana, glad your daughter has a great imagination, it seems to be rare now days.

      Delete