Sunday, October 21, 2018

So long, farewell



I cannot believe that my time at Walden is coming to a close.  I have started and stopped working on my Master's degree at least five times with 4 different universities. Three years ago, I became passionate about starting my own early learning center and thought, it is now or never.  I researched universities and programs and decided on Walden. I am so glad that I did.  I feel like I have to skills that I need to get started and knowledge of skills that I need to work on. For example, I learned that I will need help with the business aspect of running the center. In the Budget and Allocation class, I was $100,000 over budget the first time I worked on one.  There were so many things that I did not take into consideration, such as, staff benefits, insurance, legal fees, etc. My husband has an MBA and I told his I will definitely need his help to get started.
In Developing People and Leading teams I learned much about my leadership style and the way that I communicate. I also learned new techniques of how to handle conflict. The conflict resolution network is bookmarked on my computer and I find myself using it frequently.
My third most important learning goes along with the first, it is grant writing.  I have been interested in grants and grant writing but did not  know how to get started.  I now have resources booked marked and I have written a grant for work.  I will say, that it is probably my least favorite thing to do and I regret telling my boss that I could do it. However, it is practice for when I am able to open my center.
My long term goal is to open More Precious than Rubies and be an adjunct professor at the local community collage.  This way I am able to make a difference in children's lives now and in the future but training future teachers.

https://youtu.be/s0SUEMGZU04


It has been great learning with everyone, I know so of us have been in class together since day 1.  I wish everyone the best of luck with your goals and dreams. I am on facebook as Kaleena Wiseman and my email is kaleenabattles@gmail.com if you would like to stay in contact.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kaleena,
    Congratulations on all your accomplishments. This journey has taken us to some places and has helped us gain the experiences we need to care for and teach others. It is great to have support from others and I am thankful that I got the opportunity as well to complete what I set out for. Again, Congratulations!
    Cassandra Richards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaleens, we have been in almost all of our courses together. I feel like we have known each other forever. I believe that Walden University has set me up to become a successful early childhood education professional. Learning about myself has been the most important thing have learned throughout this program. You have given me numerous feedback on multiple assignment and it has helped me gain better insight in my professional and personal life. Being passionate about early education is so important to me; I can not imagine the world without educators like ourselves. Thank you for everything and I wish continuous success in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete