Saturday, August 19, 2017

Professional Goals, Hopes, and Dreams

I have recently made the switch from teaching for Head Start to being a kindergarten teacher for a Christian school.  Yes, this is a big change.  In Head Start, we constantly talked about quality, professional development, and how to improve our program.  So far at the Christian school, I am constantly told that I do not need to do everything that I am doing, parents only care about academics.  My room would pass a Step Up to Quality and NAEYC inspection.  I have centers, I have 10 min breaks planned in between subjects, and a long recess in the afternoon.  I think I need more social emotional activities and more unstructured time, but the other teachers look at me like I am crazy and  tells me to just stick with the workbooks.  I think I will win them over before the end of the year, (hopefully).
There is no talk about professional development or quality at this school.

Opportunities for professional development, is limited in this county.  I usually check my professional development portal (OCCRRA) to see what trainings are in Columbus or Cincinnati and go on my own.  The only training that I am required to keep for my current position is CPR/first aid.  I currently do not have any professional development requirements. When I taught for Head Start I had to have 10 hours of training minimum each year.

What are my professional goals?
We need high quality child care in this area that accepts all children, including those with disabilities. The only programs that participates in Step Up to Quality (Ohio's quality rating system) is Head Start.  I plan to open up a child care center  and show this county what high quality looks like. I eventually want to add a K-3rd grade programs and service all of early childhood years with  no worksheets, kids up, and actively involved in what they are doing. This is my goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment