Thursday, August 10, 2017

Sharing Web Resources part 3

Watch the Video


This week, I am looking into the Center for Educational Diplomacy. This is the last of the three programs that the Association for childhood Education International offers. The center's mission is to  promote the well-being of children worldwide. It has three goals. They are: lead the development of the concept of education diplomacy, provided resources for organizations and individuals working to incorporate education diplomacy into their efforts, and to create a cadre of experienced education diplomats to further global education and development goals, (educational diplomacy, n.d.). The center offers courses and certifications for professionals.  There is a ton of information on this site that tells the difference between being an educational diplomat and being an advocate. I found this to be interesting.
The main difference is that advocacy uses persuasive arguments to meet its goal.  Diplomacy uses a variety of diplomacy tools such as negotiation and mediation.  I believe someone who is an educational diplomat could use their skills and knowledge to promote equity and excellence in early care and education.  In fact, I think that is the primary goal of  Association for Childhood Education


I searched the site  for information on working with immigrate families but I was unable to find anything. I also subscribed to their newsletter at the beginning of this course and I have not received anything yet. I am hoping to become a member soon and I am looking into some of the courses offered, after I finish my masters.

Resources
http://www.acei.org/
http://www.educationdiplomacy.org/



7 comments:

  1. Hi Kaleena. You brought an interesting point about there being a difference between an educational diplomat and an advocate. This is something I have not realized. However, what binds them together is the common goal of improving equity and excellence in early care and education for our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaleena. The above comment comes from Jeannette Fernandez. I had some sort of computer hiccup that wouldn't let me display my name.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jeannette, I agree that both an advocate and a diplomat have a common goal. I did not realize that there are small differences in the two and I thought that was interesting.

      Delete
  2. Kaleena, that’s a thought-provoking distinction between being an educational advocate versus being an educational diplomat. At first thought, I would think they were similar, especially with diplomats also using persuasive skills. I think it’s a neat distinction between advocates using persuasive arguments and educational diplomats using mediation. I am interested in early education policy work, and will keep the distinctions in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, I thought it was interesting and something that I never thought about. Thank you for your feedback.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I have never heard of the Center for Educational Diplomacy! I was so intrigued by the differentiation you shared between being an advocate and being a diplomat that I clicked on your link to visit the site myself. What I found blew my mind. They offer skills that are so vital to creating true connection and understanding between all early childhood professionals and policy makers. I found a course on learning how to negotiate diplomatically, which I think is an essential skill for anyone truly wanting to be heard and make a difference. Here's info and a link for anyone interested.

    *****
    You should take this course if you are working to advance education-

    -Through partnerships, collaborations, and coalitions
    -By building bridges between sectors, among diverse actors, and across borders
    -As an Education Leadership professional
    -Toward achieving the UN 2030 Agenda Sustainable Development Goals

    http://www.educationdiplomacy.org/course/


    Is this the course you're saying you're interested in taking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that is one of the courses that I am interested in. I found the whole site interesting and full of great info. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete