Friday, November 17, 2017

What is culture and diversity?

When I first started to work on this assignment, I thought, I don't know three people whose culture is different than my own. I started to scroll down my facebook friends list and quickly realized that I know several. The three people that I interviewed are very different. One is a missionary in Paupa New Guine, One is a friend from high school who is transgender, and one is a former coworker who is bi-racial. 
I expected each of them to have a different definition of cultural, but they were all pretty similar. All three said that culture was how a particular group of people lived.  I think this is the definition that we all were taught in school. However, each of them had a different definition of diversity.  Erica, who is a missionary, said that diversity was blending different cultures together. Dannie, the friend from high school said that diversity was the differences in all the cultures.  Rose said that diversity was people of different cultures living near and working with each other. 
Let us discuss culture first. Everyone had the same definition of culture, which is vague, but as I have discussed before, it is difficult to get an exact all-encompassing definition. This definition also does not take into consideration that families and individuals within a particular group can vary. That is why I like Nadiyah Taylor defined culture best by saying, it is "our way of being in the world."  
I think my own definition of diversity is the same as Rose's, however, I think all three are aspects of diversity. It is the differences and the similarities between cultures, and people of different cultures living and working together, and at times blending those cultures together to make a new one. 
The most interesting part of this assignment was seeing how three people who are very different all had the same definition of culture but different definitions of diversity.  Erica is a missionary and her family blends their traditions with that of PNG, and thus her definition.  Danny is transgender, and her definition focuses on differences, Rose is bi-racial and her definition focuses on people living and working together. 

References
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Family cultures: Dynamic interactions [video file]. Retrieved from http://class.waldenu.edu.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kaleena,
    I almost posted the same picture on my Blog :) Your experience with this assignment is very similar to that of my own. I had a difficult time thinking of those I know from a different culture and it happened to be that they were right under my nose! I just don't view them as much different from myself so it was not an obvious decision for me. The definitions I gathered from everyone were also surprisingly similar. You did a great job encompassing multiple forms of diversity in this post! It was very interesting, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This assignment was interesting as I don't think of these three people as being different than myself, so I have had to stop and think why that is.

      Delete
  2. Hello Kaleena,
    I am glad that you found some people that you know whose culture is different than your own. I also found it hard to find people that had different culture then me. But like you said you looked on your Facebook and found some. I also looked on my Facebook and found them too. I found it nice when you are doing assignments like this and you found out things about other that you didn't know kinda cool. It is also nice to see that I was not the only one that thought I don't know anyone whose culture is different than my own. You did a great job explaining everything and I found it very interesting to read. I look forward to reading more of you post .
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Melissa for your feedback, Facebook definitely has its perks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also liked how Nadiyah responded that it is "our way of being in the world".. which is basically true, because culture is how we live our life as individuals and as a family. We may practice the same tradition and customs, but my values and beliefs are different than you. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaleena
    Since I started this course, I have realized that every individual see culture as the way in which people are in the world, no matter our discrepancies in associations. I particularly appreciate the umbrella of culture. It certainly encompasses all aspects of culture and the determining factors of all of our differences. Religion guides us differently, race does the same and so are the others aspects highlighted under the umbrella. Very interesting post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaleena,
    The umbrella graphic is a great one to help to teach about culture! The one aspect of culture that jumped out at me was generations. While I know about age I didn't put it together about different generations and how they each have their own culture. The best example of a generational culture would be our current teenagers and how they are so reliant upon technology. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete