Saturday, July 22, 2017

Getting to know Belize

For this assignment, I decided to research Belize.  I have visited the beautiful country while on a cruise a few years ago. I knew that it was an emerging country, but I had no idea of the issues children in this country face.  Belize has the highest HIV/AIDS rates in Central America, (Niles, 2008). Along with the aids problem; drugs, violence, and prostitution are common problems. UNICEF has a program called  My Neighbours and Me, that provides a safe place for kids after school. The program offers dancing, arts and crafts, homework help, etc.  It also talks with the kids about how to prevent HIV/AIDS, protect themselves, and how to use a computer.  The teachers in the area praise the program for teaching self discipline and self-control.

UNICEF Image                                                       UNICEF Image

What have I learned?
I knew that many in Belize lived in poverty, but I did not know about the issues with AIDS, drugs, and violence. I am glad that there are programs to help get kids off the streets and in a safe environment that will teach them skills to end the poverty cycle. The amazing information that I learned is that this program was started by two teen brothers, who were 18 and 13 when they opened the program. 

References

Niles, Chris. (2008). 'My Neighbours and Me' offer children positive alternative to drugs and crime. Retrieved from https://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/belize_42770.html
pictures retrieved from same website. 

2 comments:

  1. That is so Beautiful that that program was started by two teens! I love that? Are they brothers that were born and raised in Belize, or had learned about Belize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are brothers born and raised in Belize. They started the program and UNICEF heard about it and started to support it. I think it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete